Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I'm not trying to gossip but...

This weekend I had the opportunity to share something with two friends that has been bothering me. I shared how puzzled and perplexed I have been by the fact that I have received ZERO submissions for stories regarding acts of kindness or generosity. The thing that bothers me the most is that we seem so eager to share the negative and gossipy things in world but less inclined to share a story of kindness and goodness.

One of those sweet friends shared that perhaps we have become desensitized to the smallest acts of kindness and that perhaps we take them for granted. With her comment in mind, I decided to make a mental note of a few kind things that happened to me today.

Pardon the bulleted list approach but here goes:
• My daughter said, “Have a blessed day, Love” as I dropped her off at school.
• The cashier at Starbucks said, “Good morning!” and he meant it.
• A woman at Starbucks remarked about the beautiful day and as I agreed she mentioned that I too was beautiful.
• A gentleman standing outside of Starbucks opened the door for me.
• My husband opened the passenger side of the car for me so I could get in.
• My daughter made me chocolate chip cookies.
• My son offered to take the bus to pick me because he knew I needed a ride and he’s only eleven.
• A friend agreed to take me on an errand even if it meant she would be waking up at the crack of dawn tomorrow.
• A friend at work asked about my weekend hike and she genuinely listened.
• A stranger remembered a talk I gave and invited me to speak at their High School graduation.

These are just the first ten things I could think of right quick. I know many more kind things happened along with some other yucky, not-so-fun things but I refuse to focus on those things. I don’t want to go to bed with yuck dominating my thoughts and energy. Can you share just a few small, kind things that happened to you recently? I hope so.

Sleep with the angels,Friends.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing such thoughtful & kind gestures. Here are a few of mine:

    A women at the grocery store brought a smile to my face when she said my son was gorgeous!

    My partner had my favorite dinner prepared on the kitchen table  after a long day at work last night.

    My son slept through the entire night = happy alert mommy this morning. Ok, maybe this is not a RAK, however it sure gelt goooood!

    On my way to work this morning, a vehicle gave me the right of way with wave & a smile.

    A stranger held the door for me on the elevator & wished me a good day.

    Have a beautiful day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today, I saw a guy at the metro walk up the broken escalator from the platform to help a guy carry all his bags down. I'm truly blessed to have witnessed such a selfless act. I usually notice these things but I never say anything...I just quietly smile. Having some health challenges currently, these tiny acts are magnified for me and my heart jumps with joy when I see something so thoughtful. And so today, I didn't just witness quietly, I told that guy that what he did was extremely kind.

    ReplyDelete