Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The art of handwritten messages...

My daughter loves to check the mail because she loves to receive mail with her name on it. She has even said that she is planning to write to herself just so she can get mail. I totally see her point. I fondly remember days of receiving handwritten letters or notes. I love stationary and fine writing instruments so why don't I write to others more often? There is just something about people taking the time to hand write a message that seems so romantic and sentimental. And then to receive it with your daily mail, a little spark of kind , gentle love in the midst of unsolicited fliers and bills---refreshing! One day soon, I am going to send a letter to my baby girl---she deserves it!

 Just the same, a lost art it cannot be. We must revive it ---surely someone means enough to us to send them a handwritten note. I was thinking of the pieces of handwritten correspondence I have received in the past and one piece is particularly special. It is a card I received from my mother–in-law shortly before she passed away in 2006. I remember her giving it to me and her asking me not to read it until later. At first I didn’t understand her request, but when I read it, I understood.


Sometimes we can put in writing what we cannot say out loud. Additionally, the written word remains long after the person is gone and the memory begins to fade. To see the twists and curves of one’s personal writing has a unique way of feeling a person’s presence. So lovely.

Has a handwritten message ever impacted your life?

2 comments:

  1. How true you are I guess we are all just think that we are to busy to write but if we can be on the computer sending emails I think we should be able to write a little something on paper something I have not done in a long time sorry but the love is still there

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exaclty what you mean. I miss all my little notes and being able to read them in class, or at home, even when they're about absolutley nothing.

    ReplyDelete