Saturday, February 5, 2011

Words for Friends: To My Friend Pat

Pat and I met when we were in junior high school. Pat always had the coolest haircuts and best handwriting. Pat and I are now in our forties, and we remain friends to this day. Our lives have taken us in very different directions and we have lived through our separate shares of heartbreaks and joys. Pat married young and had a very difficult marriage, later divorced and lost one of her brothers at an early age. I admire Pat because of her resiliency and ability to remain the same beautiful person I have always known her to be.

As young teens, we were inseparable. We went everywhere together, we laughed together, we cried together. The thing I remember the most about Pat is her absolute loyalty to me. She never judged me for the impoverished lifestyle I lived. She helped me with all my chores including caring for my siblings. I was often left to care for my younger siblings for long periods of time and she helped me prepare meals, do laundry and clean house without ever complaining or appearing bored.

I even remember going over to stay with her at her grandmother’s house where she lived and it being extremely warm because the gas heaters were always on. I remember Pat’s little room with her tiny little clothes rack hanging over the corner of her bed. We had so many fun, giggly times at her grandmother’s house. I loved being there with Pat and her grandmother because it always felt safe.

One particular day, we were at my house when another friend came over to work on a science project with us. Our friend was rarely allowed to be out of her house as her mother was extremely protective and had somewhat of a history for being a little overly dramatic. As we worked away, our friend’s mother can over and started yelling at me, calling me and my family derogatory names, and since there was no adult at home she felt comfortable to come at me and attempt to slap me -- then out of nowhere Pat came running out of the house and shoved her plum off the porch

The three of us just stood in shock, but the mean mother left. I remember thinking that I had never had someone stand up for me that way. And that incident was just one of many times that she proved to be a true friend. When other girls at school were being mean- girls she always took my side—even when I was wrong!

Thank you Pati for teaching me what true friendship means. Thank you for believing in me and standing by my side knowing that I all I had to offer you was my very humble but sincere friendship! I am so blessed to have a friend in you. May God bless you and yours always!

No comments:

Post a Comment