Thursday, January 6, 2011

Words for Friends: From Evelyn to Denise

Friends, I humbly invite you to share any Words for Friends that you might have. Of course, the submission should be based on 2011's theme of Generosity, Compassion, and Kindness. You may post as a comment to an existing post or send directly to me at olive13paloma@yahoo.com if you would prefer to have a separate posting.

Words for Friends: From Evelyn to Denise

This note is dedicated to my dear friend Denise for her com-

passion and generosity

Although I met Denise in college as a sister (she’s part of my family tree) of Kappa Delta Chi Sorority, it wasn’t until she moved to DC to work at the Walter Reed Medical Center that I truly got to know her.

When I discovered I was expecting a few weeks after she arrived in the area, she was absolutely “coo-coo-for coco puffs” for me. As a nurse and soon to be certified in labor and delivery, she had a plethora of human body knowledge. It was wonderful for me because throughout the pregnancy she shared fun facts about the baby and my body, “the blood supply…baby’s digestive system….the baby’s home is like…contractions are going to feel like this…” I trusted her throughout the entire time and she always had the right thing to say. One time, Denise traveled over 30 miles each way to accompany me for a special ultrasound to determine the cause of my preterm contractions. She held my hand and coached me to breath throughout the entire exam and I was so grateful to have her next to me.

I’ll never forget the day where she single handedly led a group of 10 strangers (Victor’s YMCA buddies) to bring my Craig’s list couch up 5 flights of stairs to my apartment. I think of her each time I sit on my comfy couch and feed my son.

At the end of this month she’s going to make a big move across the country to Hawaii. Words are not enough to express the excitement and orguillo (pride) I have for her courage to take a step closer to her dream. This past year has been enriched by her presence, genuine love and passion for nursing. I hope that next time I see her she’ll tell me that she’s delivered her first baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment